Image 1 of 1
"The Oldest House"  Gonzalez-Alvarez House -For more than three centuries this site has been occupied by St. Augustinians. Beginning about 1650, a succession of thatched wooden structures were their homes. This coquina stone house was built soon after the English burned St. Augustine in 1702 and originally was a one-story rectangle with two rooms. As times changed during the Spanish, British and American occupations a wooden second story, an off-street porch, and other features were added. Preserved by the St. Augustine Historical Society since 1918, the house became a registered national landmark in 1970. Information from Historical Marker
Share
twitterlinkedinfacebook
"The Oldest House" Gonzalez-Alvarez House -For more than three centuries this site has been occupied by St. Augustinians. Beginning about 1650, a succession of thatched wooden structures were their homes. This coquina stone house was built soon after the English burned St. Augustine in 1702 and originally was a one-story rectangle with two rooms. As times changed during the Spanish, British and American occupations a wooden second story, an off-street porch, and other features were...
more »