Image 1 of 1
Tovar House<br />
The Infantryman Jose Tovar lived on this corner in 1763. The original site and size of his house remained unchanged during the British period, when John Johnson, a Scottish merchant lived here. After the Spanish returned in 1784, Jose Coruna, a Canary Islander with his family and Tomas Caraballo, an assisttan surgeon, occupied the house. Geronimo Alvarez who lived next door in the Gonzalez-Alvarez House, purchased the property in 1791. It remained in his family until 1871. A later occupant was Civil War General Martin D. Hardin, USA. The Tovar House has been owned by the St. Augustine Historical Society since 1918. (Information quoted from Historical Marker)
Share
twitterlinkedinfacebook
Tovar House
The Infantryman Jose Tovar lived on this corner in 1763. The original site and size of his house remained unchanged during the British period, when John Johnson, a Scottish merchant lived here. After the Spanish returned in 1784, Jose Coruna, a Canary Islander with his family and Tomas Caraballo, an assisttan surgeon, occupied the house. Geronimo Alvarez who lived next door in the Gonzalez-Alvarez House, purchased the property in 1791. It remained in his family until 1871. A...
more »